Council Approved Dropped Kerb Contractors

Make Your Appointment For Excellent Service Today!

Blidworth Dropped Kerb Specialists - Find Kerb Drop Solutions In The Nottinghamshire NG21 0 Area

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

Do you need a Dropped Kerb in Blidworth? For lots of people, parking outside their own home can be both a reason for stress and come at a monetary cost if you need to pay for a resident’s permit.

In particular urban areas, it can still be tricky to find a spot to leave your car near to home.

A kerb drop is a legal necessity if you wish to drive over the pavement onto your residential or commercial property.

Any entry onto a public highway from a residential or commercial driveway area should have a vehicle crossover.

Kerb dropping allows vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway and it is a legal necessity if you intend to drive across the pavement onto your property.

new dropped kerb in Blidworth

We cover all these local areas and lots more- Blidworth & Blidworth Bottoms, Haywood Oaks, Rainworth, Blidworth Dale, Ravenshead, White Post, Harlow Wood, Ravensdale, Forest Town, Papplewick

Installing a vehicle access crossover can make a significant improvement to accessing your property along with helping to make sure people do not park in front of your driveway.

The law pertaining to the access states: If you plan to drive a vehicle over the footway in to your driveway off a highway, then you will need make these changes to your access.

If you do not, you must never drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action may be taken to stop such practice.

The pavement may require to be reinforced in front of the building, and in some cases, it may be essential for lampposts, manhole covers and other street furniture to be moved.

drop kerb example image

Drop Kerb Specialists in Blidworth

Kerb drops, also referred to as vehicle access crossovers, are an alteration to the footpath. It involves lowering the kerb and preparing new foundations to the paving to make it possible for a car to be driven onto the front area of a property.

The work includes lowering the kerbstones and bolstering the pavement to create a ramp, and must solely be performed by an authorised provider with Street Works Accreditation, and who have the necessary Public Liability insurance to fulfill the local authorities regulations.

Vehicle access cross overs consist normally of 3 or 4 dropped kerbs with a tapered or transition kerb on either side. The standard maximum total width at road level for a VAC is 3.6 metres (i.e. normally 4 kerbs).

Our team have many years experience in installing drop kerbs and applying for the appropriate planning permission. We are able to work in conjunction with your local county council  whilst abiding by all essential regulations.

You can either apply to your local council for approval for kerb dropping outside your building or we are able to apply to your local authority on your behalf.

We are members of the Streetworks Qualifications Register (SWQR). The SWQR holds information of qualified operators who have gained the proper qualifications in relation to the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, which is essential for any contractor excavating a highway.

We concentrate on delivering a product that gets it correct the first time. By buying high quality components, equipment and processes, we make sure that we deliver sustainable and affordable solutions that will last.

We pride ourselves on our exceptional workmanship and customer care and we make sure that each and every job is performed to the finest quality standards.

Our staff can visit your site to perform a free no-obligation survey. This enables our surfacing contractors to fully understand your needs and provide an accurate and competitive quote.

Contact us today for a free price quote on 07595 510190

Blidworth Kerb Dropping Contractors

The massive growth in interest for off-street parking has seen a growing number of people drop kerbs to create car standing at the front of their homes.

Research by home insurer Direct Line shows that off-street parking is seen by estate agents as a beneficial feature which adds value to a property. This, combined with escalating parking limitations in many residential areas, has resulted in planning applications  increase greatly over recent years.

But while adding car standing space to the front of your home may add value to your property, there are many things to think about, not least environmental issues, and flooding is a major concern.

When you replace a front lawn with hard standing, rain can no longer absorb into the ground. As more and more households take this step, the collective effect seriously increases the threat of flooding, so it’s essential to incorporate drainage in your plans.

Planning permission is generally needed if you wish to drop the kerb outside your building to permit a car to cross the pavement. This is due to the fact that the pavement may need to be reinforced to take the weight of motor vehicles and prevent them from damaging the surface or any pipes or cables beneath. It is in addition to ensure the new access will never be a safety risk to other highway users.

Blidworth Dropped Kerb Specialists - Find Kerb Drop Solutions In The Nottinghamshire NG21 0 Area

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

You can learn if you require planning permission by contacting your local council (you can find the relevant council at the government website). How much it costs to apply will depend on your location.

If permission is given, you then you need to locate a local contractor to do the work for you.

It’s certainly not a DIY job as the council will have requirements that contractors must meet. Several will only allow you to use their approved contractors, while others make it possible for you to use your own, just as long as they are accredited to the requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, and carry public liability insurance. In this case, there may be an added fee for highway inspections by the council.

new dropped kerb in Blidworth
Blidworth close up of kerb drop

Nottinghamshire Vehicle Crossover Experts

But first it’s worth establishing if permission is likely to be granted. Below is a list of considerations. If any among these criteria is not met, planning permission is most likely to be turned down:

  • Your front garden must be large enough for you to park your vehicle entirely on your property.
  • The kerb must be at least 4.8 m from the front of your house; or 6m if the parking area is in front of an entrance or garage.
  • The parking area must be at least 2.4 m wide.
  • The proposed access to your property must be more than 10m away from a road junction; 15m away from busy junctions or on major roads.
  • It must be at least 1.5 m away from street lights and other street furniture.
  • It must meet visibility guidelines; this depends upon the type of road.
  • Appropriate drainage must be provided to take the excess surface water.
    The extraction of tree roots must be avoided.
  • The incline from your home to the road must not be too steep.
  • Finally, you as the homeowner must agree to the kerb being dropped; for instance, a renter can not apply on their landlord’s behalf.

Q and A’s

Prices vary depending on where you live, how many kerbs are to be dropped and whether or not you wish to extend an already-dropped kerb. While some councils and contractors offer extended dropped kerbs for free, others charge as much as £1800. The actual job usually takes between 1 and 2 days.

Highways Act 1980 Section 184, makes it an offense for a vehicle to be driven across a footway. These include the permission for a vehicle to cross the public footway and the physical lowering the kerb.

An average driveway will have five kerb sections. If the Council is the owner of the road or footpath, you will need permission from the Council. The Council may deny permission for any reason, be it as a roads or planning authority, but also both.

A dropped kerb is the sloped area where the vehicle crosses from the road to the front of the property. A driveway often has a dropped curb.

Obstructing a drop kerb with a vehicle is an offense. It can be enforced by the police or local council. Even though it sounds absurd, you may be issued a PCN to park on top of your own dropped curb.

Parking across a dropped kerb is a parking contravention for which a Penalty Charge Notice can be issued. If you park across a dropped curb, you will be charged with an offense unless you have permission.

A spot for a vehicle will bring additional value to your property. The amount you pay will depend on whereabouts. You will need to apply to get a dropped curb outside your property.

It must be at least 10 m between the entrance to the junction or sharp corner and where the proposed vehicular accessibility is located. No part of a vehicle parked within your property may overhang the pavement or road.

You will need to obtain permission to drop the kerb from your property so that a car can cross the pavement. This is because the pavement may need to be strengthened to take the weight of vehicles and prevent them from damaging the surface or any pipes or cables underneath

Dropped kerbs are required for vehicles that will be driven over the footway to your driveway from a highway. A dropped kerb is required for any vehicle that crosses the footway. Doing so is a violation of the law, and enforcement actions could be taken against you.

We Install Driveways Too!

If you need a dropped kerb you probably need a driveway too.
We can give you a quote for:
Resin Drives
Tarmac Drives
Concrete Drives
Block Paving Drives

Ask us for a free quote!