Council Approved Dropped Kerb Contractors

Make Your Appointment For Excellent Service Today!

Blidworth Dale Dropped Kerb Company -Find Vehicle Crossovers Specialists In Nottinghamshire

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

Do you need a Dropped Kerb in Blidworth Dale? For many people, parking outside their own home can be both a cause of stress and come at a monetary cost if you need to pay for a resident’s permit.

In certain urban areas, it can continue to be tricky to find a place to leave your car near to home.

A kerb drop is a legal requirement if you want to drive across the pavement onto your residential or commercial property.

Any entry onto a public highway from a domestic or commercial driveway area should have a vehicle crossover.

Kerb dropping permits vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway and it is a legal requirement if you want to drive across the pavement onto your property.

new dropped kerb in Blidworth Dale

We cover all these local areas and lots more- Blidworth Dale & Ravenshead, Blidworth Bottoms, Blidworth, Haywood Oaks, Papplewick, Harlow Wood, Linby, Rainworth, Wighay, Newstead

Putting in a vehicle access crossover can make a huge improvement to easy access your property as well as helping to ensure people do not park across your driveway.

The law pertaining to the access states: If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need to make these changes to your access.

If you do not, you must not drive over the footway. If you do this, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice.

The pavement may need to be strengthened in front of the property, and in many cases, it may be necessary for lampposts, manhole covers and various other street furniture to be relocated.

drop kerb example image

Drop Kerb Specialists in Blidworth Dale

Kerb drops, also called vehicle access crossovers, are an adaptation to the footpath. It involves lowering the kerb and laying new foundations to the paving to enable a car to be driven onto the front area of a property.

The work involves lowering the kerbstones and strengthening the pavement to create a ramp, and must solely be performed by an authorised provider with Street Works Accreditation, and who have the required Public Liability insurance to fulfill the local authorities regulations.

Vehicle access cross overs comprise normally of 3 or 4 dropped kerbs with a tapered or transition kerb on either side. The conventional maximum total width at road level for a VAC is 3.6 metres (i.e. normally 4 kerbs).

Our team have several years experience in installing drop kerbs and making an application for the appropriate planning permission. We can work in conjunction with your local county council  while complying with all necessary regulations.

You can either apply to your local council for approval for kerb dropping outside your property or we can apply to your local authority in your place.

We are members of the Streetworks Qualifications Register (SWQR). The SWQR holds details of qualified operators who have gained the proper qualifications in regard to the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, which is essential for any contractor excavating a highway.

We concentrate on delivering a service that gets it correct the first time. By investing in high quality components, equipment and processes, we ensure that we deliver sustainable and affordable solutions that will last.

We pride ourselves on our outstanding workmanship and customer care and we ensure that each and every job is performed to the finest quality standards.

Our team can visit your site to carry out a free no-obligation survey. This allows our surfacing contractors to completely understand your needs and offer an accurate and competitive quote.

Contact us today for a complimentary quote on 07595 510190

Blidworth Dale Kerb Dropping Contractors

The huge growth in interest for off-street parking has seen a growing number of people drop kerbs to establish car standing at the front of their properties.

Research by home insurer Direct Line shows that off-street parking is seen by estate agents as a desirable feature which adds value to a residential or commercial property. This, coupled with increasing parking limitations in many residential locations, has resulted in planning applications  increase massively over recent years.

But while adding car standing space to the front of your home might add value to your property, there are many things to think about, not least environmental consequences, and flooding is a major issue.

When you switch out a front lawn with hard standing, rain can no longer absorb into the ground. As increasingly more households take this action, the cumulative effect severely increases the threat of flooding, so it’s important to include drainage in your plans.

Planning permission is usually needed if you wish to drop the kerb outside your property to permit a car to cross the pavement. This is because the pavement may need to be strengthened to take the weight of vehicles and help prevent them from damaging the surface or any pipes or cables underneath. It is in addition to ensure the new access will not be a safety risk to other highway users.

Blidworth Dale Dropped Kerb Company -Find Vehicle Crossovers Specialists In Nottinghamshire

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

You can learn if you need planning permission by getting in touch with your local council (you can find the relevant council at the government website). How much it costs to apply will be dependent on your location.

If permission is granted, you then you need to find a local contractor to do the work for you.

It’s definitely not a DIY job as the council will have criteria that service providers must meet. Some will only permit you to use their endorsed contractors, while others allow you to use your own, provided that they are accredited to the requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, and hold public liability insurance. In this case, there may be an added fee for highway inspections by the council.

new dropped kerb in Blidworth Dale
Blidworth Dale close up of kerb drop

Nottinghamshire Vehicle Crossover Experts

But first it’s worth establishing if permission is likely to be given. Below is a checklist of considerations. If any one of these criteria is not met, planning permission is most likely to be denied:

  • Your front garden needs to be large enough for you to park your vehicle fully on your property.
  • The kerb needs to be at least 4.8 m from the front of your house; or 6m if the parking area is in front of an entrance or garage.
  • The parking area must be at least 2.4 m wide.
  • The suggested access to your property must be more than 10m away from a road junction; 15m away from busy junctions or on primary roads.
  • It must be at least 1.5 m away from street lights and various other street furniture.
  • It must meet visibility standards; this is dependent on the type of road.
  • Appropriate drainage needs to be provided to remove the excess surface water.
    The removal of tree roots must be avoided.
  • The slope from your home to the road must not be too steep.
  • Finally, you as the home owner must agree to the kerb being dropped; as an example, a renter can not apply on their landlord’s behalf.

Q and A’s

Prices can vary depending upon where you are located, what width you have, how many kerbs need to be dropped, and whether you need to extend an existing drop kerb. Some councils and contractors provide an extended dropped curb for no cost, while others charge up to £1800. The job itself usually takes around 1 to 2 days.

Highways Act 1980, Section 184 makes it an offense to drive a vehicle over a footway or verge where there is no vehicle crossing. These include the permission for a vehicle to cross the public footway and the physical lowering the kerb.

Five kerb sections will be required to make a driveway average. If the Council is the owner of the road or footpath, you will need permission from the Council. The Council could refuse permission, as a roads authority, planning authorities, or both.

A dropped curb is the area where the vehicle crosses over from the road to the property’s rear. It’s often a driveway that has a droppedkerb.

An obstruction is defined as a vehicle that is parked fully or partially on a dropped kerb. Local authorities or the police can enforce the violation. … As ridiculous as it may seem, you can be issued a PCN for parking across your own dropped kerb

Parking on a drop kerb is considered a parking violation and can result in a Penalty Notice. This means that if you park on top of a dropped brick, you are guilty of an offence.

Although adding a spot for your car will increase the property’s value, it will depend on where you live. A drop kerb outside of your property will require you to complete an application.

Between the junction’s entrance and the proposed location for vehicular access, there must be at most 10m. The vehicle must not be parked within 10 metres of any road or pavement.

If you want to remove the curb from your property in order to permit a vehicle to cross the pavement, planning permission will usually be required. The pavement might need to be reinforced to withstand the vehicles’ weight and to prevent damage to the pipes or cables beneath.

Dropped kerbs are required for vehicles that will be driven over the footway to your driveway from a highway. You must have a dropped kerb in order to drive your vehicle over the footway. Doing so is a violation of the law, and enforcement actions could be taken against you.

We Install Driveways Too!

If you need a dropped kerb you probably need a driveway too.
We can give you a quote for:
Resin Drives
Tarmac Drives
Concrete Drives
Block Paving Drives

Ask us for a free quote!