Council Approved Dropped Kerb Contractors

Make Your Appointment For Excellent Service Today!

Find Recommended Dropped Kerbs In Rainworth - Vehicle Crossovers Experts in Nottinghamshire

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

Do you need a Dropped Kerb in Rainworth? For lots of people, parking outside their own home can be both a reason for stress and come at a monetary cost if you need to buy a resident’s permit.

In particular urban areas, it can continue to be tricky to find a place to leave your car near to home.

A kerb drop is a legal requirement if you wish to drive across the pavement onto your property.

Any access onto a public highway from a domestic or commercial driveway area should have a vehicle crossover.

Kerb dropping enables vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway and it is a legal requirement if you intend to drive across the pavement onto your property.

new dropped kerb in Rainworth

We cover all these local areas and lots more- Rainworth & Blidworth, Blidworth Bottoms, Haywood Oaks, White Post, Harlow Wood, Newlands, Clipstone, Forest Town, Ravenshead, Ravensdale

Putting in a vehicle access crossover can make a huge improvement to easy access your property along with helping to ensure people do not park in front of your driveway.

The law pertaining to the access states: If you plan to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need make these changes to your access.

If you do not, you must not drive over the footway. If you do this, you are breaking the law and enforcement action might be taken to prevent such practice.

The pavement may require to be strengthened in front of the building, and in many cases, it may be necessary for lampposts, manhole covers and various other street furniture to be relocated.

drop kerb example image

Drop Kerb Specialists in Rainworth

Kerb drops, also known as vehicle access crossovers, are an alteration to the footpath. It entails lowering the kerb and laying new foundations to the paving to make it possible for a car to be driven onto the front area of a property.

The work involves lowering the kerbstones and strengthening the pavement to create a ramp, and must only be performed by an authorised provider with Street Works Accreditation, and who have the necessary Public Liability insurance to comply with the local authorities regulations.

Vehicle access cross overs comprise normally of 3 or 4 dropped kerbs with a tapered or transition kerb on either side. The conventional maximum total width at road level for a VAC is 3.6 metres (i.e. normally 4 kerbs).

We have several years experience in installing drop kerbs and making an application for the relevant planning permission. We are able to work in conjunction with your local county council  whilst complying with all necessary regulations.

You can either apply to your local council for approval for kerb dropping outside your building or we are able to apply to your local authority in your place.

We are members of the Streetworks Qualifications Register (SWQR). The SWQR holds details of qualified operators who have gained the proper qualifications in relation to the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, which is necessary for any contractor excavating a highway.

We focus on delivering a product that gets it right the first time. By investing in high quality components, equipment and processes, we ensure that we deliver lasting and affordable solutions that will last.

We pride ourselves on our outstanding workmanship and client care and we ensure that each and every job is carried out to the highest quality standards.

Our staff can check out your site to carry out a free no-obligation survey. This enables our surfacing contractors to completely understand your needs and provide an accurate and affordable quote.

Call us today for a free price quote on 07595 510190

Rainworth Kerb Dropping Contractors

The massive growth in interest for off-street parking has seen a growing number of people drop kerbs to establish car standing at the front of their properties.

Research by home insurer Direct Line shows that off-street parking is seen by estate agents as a beneficial feature which adds value to a residential or commercial property. This, coupled with escalating parking restrictions in lots of residential areas, has resulted in planning applications  increase massively over recent years.

But while adding car standing space to the front of your home might add value to your property, there are numerous things to consider, not least environmental consequences, and flooding is a big concern.

When you replace a front garden with hard standing, rain can no longer soak into the ground. As increasingly more households take this step, the cumulative effect seriously increases the danger of flooding, so it’s essential to include drainage in your plans.

Planning permission is usually required if you wish to drop the kerb outside your building to enable a car to cross the pavement. This is because the pavement may need to be strengthened to take the weight of vehicles and prevent them from damaging the surface or any pipes or cables below. It is also to ensure the new access will not be a safety risk to other highway users.

Find Recommended Dropped Kerbs In Rainworth - Vehicle Crossovers Experts in Nottinghamshire

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

You can find out if you need planning permission by getting in touch with your local council (you can identify the relevant council at the government website). How much it costs to apply will depend upon your location.

If permission is given, you then you need to find a local professional to perform the work for you.

It’s certainly not a DIY job as the council will have criteria that service providers must meet. Several will only allow you to use their approved contractors, while others allow you to use your own, as long as they are certified to the requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, and hold public liability insurance. In this case, there may be an additional charge for highway assessments by the council.

new dropped kerb in Rainworth
Rainworth close up of kerb drop

Nottinghamshire Vehicle Crossover Experts

But first it’s worth verifying if permission is likely to be given. Below is a list of considerations. If any one of these criteria is not met, planning permission is likely to be turned down:

  • Your front garden needs to be big enough for you to park your vehicle fully on your property.
  • The kerb needs to be at minimum 4.8 m from the front of your house; or 6m if the parking area is in front of an entrance or garage.
  • The parking area must be at least 2.4 m wide.
  • The suggested access to your property must be more than 10m away from a road junction; 15m away from busy junctions or on major roads.
  • It must be at least 1.5 m away from street lights and various other street furniture.
  • It must meet visibility standards; this depends on the type of road.
  • Suitable drainage needs to be provided to remove the surplus surface water.
    The extraction of tree roots must be avoided.
  • The slope from your property to the road must not be too steep.
  • Lastly, you as the home owner must agree to the kerb being dropped; for instance, a renter can not apply on their landlord’s behalf.

Q and A’s

Prices will vary depending on your location, width of pavement, the number of kerbs to drop and if you want to extend an existing dropped kerb. Some councils and contractors offer an extended dropped-kerb free of charge, while others charge up to £1800. The actual job usually takes between 1 and 2 days.

The Highways Act 1980 – Section 184, makes it an offence to drive a vehicle across a footway, or verge, where there is no proper vehicle crossover. They can be used to permit vehicles to cross the public footway.

For an average driveway, you will probably want to lower five kerb sections. Assuming the Council owns the footpath and road, you will need to get permission from your local Council. The Council may deny permission for any reason, be it as a roads or planning authority, but also both.

A dropped kerb is a sloped area that the vehicle crosses between the road and the property’s front. This is most often a driveway with drop kerb.

Obstructing a drop kerb with a vehicle is an offense. It can be enforced by the police or local council. … As ridiculous as it may seem, you can be issued a PCN for parking across your own dropped kerb

Parking across a dropped street is a parking violation that can result in a Penalty Cost Notice. This means that you can’t park in front of a dropped-kerb without permission.

A car spot will add extra value to your home, but it will vary depending on where you live. You will need to apply to get a dropped curb outside your property.

Between the junction’s entrance and the proposed location for vehicular access, there must be at most 10m. You must ensure that no part of your vehicle is parked on the road or pavement.

Planning permission is usually required if you wish to drop the kerb outside your property to allow a car to cross the pavement. Because vehicles can cause damage to the pavement, or to any pipes or cables under it, the pavement may need reinforcement.

Dropped kerbs are required for vehicles that will be driven over the footway to your driveway from a highway. A dropped kerb is required for any vehicle that crosses the footway. If you do, you will be in violation of the law. Enforcement action may be taken to stop you from doing so.

We Install Driveways Too!

If you need a dropped kerb you probably need a driveway too.
We can give you a quote for:
Resin Drives
Tarmac Drives
Concrete Drives
Block Paving Drives

Ask us for a free quote!