Council Approved Dropped Kerb Contractors

Make Your Appointment For Excellent Service Today!

Forest Town Dropped Kerb Services -Find Vehicle Crossovers Experts In Nottinghamshire

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

Do you need a Dropped Kerb in Forest Town? For lots of people, parking outside their own home can be both a cause of stress and come at a monetary cost if you need to pay for a resident’s permit.

In certain urban areas, it can continue to be tricky to find a spot to leave your car close to home.

A kerb drop is a legal necessity if you want to drive across the pavement onto your residential or commercial property.

Any entry onto a public highway from a domestic or commercial driveway area must have a vehicle crossover.

Kerb dropping allows vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway and it is a legal necessity if you intend to drive across the pavement onto your property.

new dropped kerb in Forest Town

We cover all these local areas and lots more- Forest Town & Ravensdale, Newlands, The Park, Clipstone, Mansfield Woodhouse, Mansfield, Spion Kop, Ladybrook, Gorsethorpe, Kings Clipstone

Putting in a vehicle access crossover can make a significant improvement to accessing your property along with helping to make sure people do not park in front of your driveway.

The law pertaining to the access states: If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway in to your driveway off a highway, then you will need to make these changes to your access.

If you do not, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action might be taken to prevent such practice.

The pavement may require to be reinforced in front of the property, and in many cases, it may be essential for lampposts, manhole covers and various other street furniture to be moved.

drop kerb example image

Drop Kerb Specialists in Forest Town

Kerb drops, also called vehicle access crossovers, are an adaptation to the footpath. It entails lowering the kerb and laying new foundations to the paving to make it possible for a car to be driven onto the front area of a property.

The work includes lowering the kerbstones and strengthening the pavement to create a ramp, and must solely be performed by an authorised provider with Street Works Accreditation, and who have the required Public Liability insurance to fulfill the local authorities regulations.

Vehicle access cross overs consist normally of 3 or 4 dropped kerbs with a tapered or transition kerb on either side. The conventional maximum total width at road level for a VAC is 3.6 metres (i.e. normally 4 kerbs).

Our team have several years experience in putting in drop kerbs and applying for the appropriate planning permission. We are able to work in partnership with your local county council  whilst complying with all essential regulations.

You can either apply to your local council for approval for kerb dropping outside your property or we are able to apply to your local authority on your behalf.

We are members of the Streetworks Qualifications Register (SWQR). The SWQR holds details of qualified operators who have gained the proper qualifications in regard to the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, which is necessary for any provider excavating a highway.

We focus on delivering a service that gets it right the first time. By investing in high quality components, equipment and processes, we make sure that we deliver lasting and cost effective solutions that will last.

We pride ourselves on our exceptional workmanship and client care and we make sure that every job is performed to the highest quality standards.

Our staff can visit your site to carry out a free no-obligation survey. This allows our surfacing contractors to fully understand your requirements and offer an accurate and competitive quote.

Contact us today for a complimentary quote on 07595 510190

Forest Town Kerb Dropping Contractors

The huge growth in demand for off-street parking has seen a growing number of people drop kerbs to establish car standing at the front of their properties.

Study by home insurer Direct Line shows that off-street parking is seen by estate agents as a beneficial feature which adds market value to a property. This, coupled with escalating parking restrictions in many residential locations, has resulted in planning applications  increase massively over recent years.

However while adding car standing space to the front of your home may add market value to your property, there are numerous things to take into consideration, not least environmental issues, and flooding is a major issue.

When you switch out a front garden with hard standing, rain can no longer absorb into the ground. As increasingly more households take this step, the collective effect seriously increases the danger of flooding, so it’s important to incorporate drainage in your plans.

Planning permission is generally needed if you wish to drop the kerb outside your property to enable a car to cross the pavement. This is because the pavement might need to be reinforced to take the weight of motor vehicles and prevent them from damaging the surface or any water pipes or cables beneath. It is also to ensure the new access will not be a safety risk to other highway users.

Forest Town Dropped Kerb Services -Find Vehicle Crossovers Experts In Nottinghamshire

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

You can learn if you require planning permission by getting in touch with your local council (you can find the relevant council at the government website). How much it costs to apply will be dependent on your specific location.

If permission is approved, you then you need to locate a local specialist to do the work for you.

It’s certainly not a DIY job as the council will have criteria that contractors must meet. Several will only permit you to use their endorsed contractors, while others make it possible for you to use your own, as long as they are certified to the requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, and hold public liability insurance. For this case, there might be an additional charge for highway assessments by the council.

new dropped kerb in Forest Town
Forest Town close up of kerb drop

Nottinghamshire Vehicle Crossover Experts

However first it’s worth establishing if consent is likely to be given. Below is a list of considerations. If any among these criteria is not met, planning permission is probably to be turned down:

  • Your front garden needs to be big enough for you to park your vehicle completely on your property.
  • The kerb needs to be at minimum 4.8 m from the front of your house; or 6m if the parking area is in front of an entrance or garage.
  • The parking area must be at least 2.4 m wide.
  • The suggested access to your property must be more than 10m away from a road junction; 15m away from busy junctions or on major roads.
  • It has to be at least 1.5 m away from street lights and various other street furniture.
  • It must meet visibility guidelines; this is dependent on the type of road.
  • Appropriate drainage needs to be provided to remove the surplus surface water.
    The extraction of tree roots must be avoided.
  • The slope from your property to the road must not be too steep.
  • Finally, you as the homeowner must agree to the kerb being dropped; as an example, a tenant can not apply on their landlord’s behalf.

Q and A’s

Prices will vary depending on your location, width of pavement, the number of kerbs to drop and if you want to extend an existing dropped kerb. While some councils and contractors offer extended dropped kerbs for free, others charge as much as £1800. The job itself usually takes around 1 to 2 days.

Highways Act 1980 Section 184 states that it is an offense to drive a vehicle on a footway or verge if there isn’t a proper vehicle crossing. They allow for the vehicle to cross the public pedestrian footway.

You will need to reduce five kerb sections for an average driveway. Your local Council will be your highway authority. This assumes that the Council has the road and footpath. The Council might decide not to grant permission, either as a roads authority or planning authority, or both.

A dropped kerb is the sloped area where the vehicle crosses from the road to the front of the property. Often it is a driveway with a dropped kerb.

An obstruction is defined as a vehicle that is parked fully or partially on a dropped kerb. Local authorities or the police can enforce the violation. You can get a PCN for parking on your own dropped kerb, however absurd it may sound

Parking across a dropped kerb is a parking contravention for which a Penalty Charge Notice can be issued. If you park across a dropped curb, you will be charged with an offense unless you have permission.

A spot for a vehicle will bring additional value to your property. The amount you pay will depend on whereabouts. Keep in mind, however, that dropping a kerb on your property outside will require you to submit an application.

At least 10 metres must be between the location of the vehicular access and the entrance to any junction or sharp corner. You must ensure that no part of your vehicle is parked on the road or pavement.

You will need to obtain permission to drop the kerb from your property so that a car can cross the pavement. This is because vehicles may cause damage to the pavement or pipes or cables below, and the pavement may need strengthening to support the load.

A dropped kerb is necessary if you want to drive a vehicle from your driveway onto the footway. You must have a dropped kerb in order to drive your vehicle over the footway. If you do, you will be in violation of the law. Enforcement action may be taken to stop you from doing so.

We Install Driveways Too!

If you need a dropped kerb you probably need a driveway too.
We can give you a quote for:
Resin Drives
Tarmac Drives
Concrete Drives
Block Paving Drives

Ask us for a free quote!