Council Approved Dropped Kerb Contractors

Make Your Appointment For Excellent Service Today!

Dropped Kerb in The Park - Find the Best Available East Midlands Kerb Drop and Kerb Dropping Experts

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

Do you need a Dropped Kerb in The Park? For many people, parking outside their own house can be both a reason for stress and come at a financial cost if you need to pay for a resident’s permit.

In certain urban areas, it can still be tricky to find a place to leave your car near to home.

A kerb drop is a legal requirement if you want to drive across the pavement onto your residential or commercial property.

Any entry onto a public highway from a residential or commercial driveway area should have a vehicle crossover.

Kerb dropping permits vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway and it is a legal requirement if you wish to drive across the pavement onto your property.

new dropped kerb in The Park

We cover all these local areas and lots more- The Park & Ravensdale, Mansfield, Forest Town, Mansfield Woodhouse, Ladybrook, Newlands, Bleak Hills, Radmanthwaite, Clipstone, Harlow Wood

Putting in a vehicle access crossover can make a significant improvement to accessing your property as well as helping to ensure people do not park in front of your driveway.

The law regarding the access states: If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway in to your driveway off a highway, then you will need make these changes to your access.

If you do not, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action might be taken to stop such practice.

The pavement may require to be strengthened in front of the building, and in some cases, it may be essential for lampposts, manhole covers and various other street furniture to be moved.

drop kerb example image

Drop Kerb Specialists in The Park

Kerb drops, also known as vehicle access crossovers, are an alteration to the footpath. It involves lowering the kerb and preparing new foundations to the paving to enable a car to be driven onto the front area of a property.

The work involves lowering the kerbstones and bolstering the pavement to create a ramp, and must only be performed by an authorised provider with Street Works Accreditation, and who have the necessary Public Liability insurance to comply with the local authorities regulations.

Vehicle access cross overs comprise normally of 3 or 4 dropped kerbs with a tapered or transition kerb on either side. The standard maximum total width at road level for a VAC is 3.6 metres (i.e. normally 4 kerbs).

Our team have several years experience in installing drop kerbs and applying for the appropriate planning permission. We are able to work in conjunction with your local county council  whilst complying with all essential regulations.

You can either apply to your local council for approval for kerb dropping outside your building or we are able to apply to your local authority in your place.

We are members of the Streetworks Qualifications Register (SWQR). The SWQR holds details of qualified providers who have gained the appropriate qualifications in relation to the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, which is necessary for any contractor excavating a highway.

We concentrate on delivering a service that gets it right the first time. By buying high quality components, equipment and processes, we ensure that we deliver sustainable and affordable solutions that will last.

We pride ourselves on our outstanding workmanship and customer care and we ensure that every job is carried out to the finest quality standards.

Our team can visit your site to carry out a free no-obligation survey. This allows our surfacing contractors to fully understand your requirements and provide an accurate and affordable quote.

Call us today for a complimentary quote on 07595 510190

The Park Kerb Dropping Contractors

The huge growth in demand for off-street parking has seen more and more people drop kerbs to establish car standing at the front of their homes.

Research by home insurer Direct Line shows that off-street parking is seen by estate agents as a desirable feature which adds market value to a residential or commercial property. This, combined with increasing parking restrictions in many residential areas, has brought about planning applications  increase massively over recent years.

But while adding car standing space to the front of your home may well add market value to your property, there are many things to consider, not least environmental issues, and flooding is a major concern.

When you replace a front lawn with hard standing, rain can no longer absorb into the ground. As increasingly more households take this step, the cumulative effect seriously increases the danger of flooding, so it’s essential to incorporate drainage in your plans.

Planning permission is generally called for if you wish to drop the kerb outside your building to enable a car to cross the pavement. This is because the pavement may need to be strengthened to take the weight of vehicles and help prevent them from damaging the surface or any pipes or cables below. It is in addition to ensure the new access will not be a safety risk to other highway users.

Dropped Kerb in The Park - Find the Best Available East Midlands Kerb Drop and Kerb Dropping Experts

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

You can learn if you need planning permission by contacting your local council (you can find the relevant council at the government website). How much it costs to apply will depend upon your location.

If permission is approved, you then you need to find a local professional to perform the work for you.

It’s definitely not a DIY job as the council will have requirements that contractors must meet. Several will only permit you to use their approved contractors, while others allow you to use your own, as long as they are accredited to the requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, and hold public liability insurance. For this case, there may be an additional charge for highway assessments by the council.

new dropped kerb in The Park
The Park close up of kerb drop

Nottinghamshire Vehicle Crossover Experts

But first it’s worth establishing if consent is likely to be given. Below is a checklist of points to consider. If any one of these criteria is not met, planning permission is very likely to be denied:

  • Your front garden must be large enough for you to park your vehicle entirely on your property.
  • The kerb must be at least 4.8 m from the front of your house; or 6m if the parking area is in front of a door or garage.
  • The parking area must be at least 2.4 m wide.
  • The proposed access to your property must be more than 10m away from a road junction; 15m away from busy junctions or on primary roads.
  • It must be at least 1.5 m away from street lamps and various other street furniture.
  • It must meet visibility standards; this is dependent on the type of road.
  • Appropriate drainage must be provided to remove the excess surface water.
    The extraction of tree roots must be avoided.
  • The incline from your home to the road must not be too steep.
  • Lastly, you as the property owner must agree to the kerb being dropped; for example, a tenant can not apply on their landlord’s behalf.

Q and A’s

Prices will vary depending upon your location, pavement width, number of kerbs to drop, and whether you want to extend an old dropped kerb. Some councils and contractors offer an extended dropped-kerb free of charge, while others charge up to £1800. The job typically takes about one to two days.

Highways Act 1980 Section 184 states that it is an offense to drive a vehicle on a footway or verge if there isn’t a proper vehicle crossing. These include the permission for a vehicle to cross the public footway and the physical lowering the kerb.

An average driveway will have five kerb sections. Assuming the Council owns the footpath and road, you will need to get permission from your local Council. The Council may refuse to grant permission as either a roads authority or a planning authority, or both.

A dropped curb is the area where the vehicle crosses over from the road to the property’s rear. This is most often a driveway with drop kerb.

If you park your vehicle partially or completely across a dropped kerb, it is considered obstruction. This can be enforced either by the police and the council. It doesn’t matter how absurd, you can be issued an NPCN for parking your vehicle across your dropped kerb.

Parking on a drop kerb is considered a parking violation and can result in a Penalty Notice. You can be fined for parking on a dropped kerb if you don’t have permission.

A spot for a car can add value to your property. However, the exact amount depends on where you live. Keep in mind, however, that dropping a kerb on your property outside will require you to submit an application.

It must be at least 10 m between the entrance to the junction or sharp corner and where the proposed vehicular accessibility is located. The pavement or road must not be overhang by any vehicle that is parked within your property.

If you plan to remove the kerb on your property and allow cars to cross the pavement, permission is required. This is because vehicles may cause damage to the pavement or pipes or cables below, and the pavement may need strengthening to support the load.

A dropped kerb is necessary if you want to drive a vehicle from your driveway onto the footway. You cannot drive on the footway if you don’t have a dropped curb. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice.

We Install Driveways Too!

If you need a dropped kerb you probably need a driveway too.
We can give you a quote for:
Resin Drives
Tarmac Drives
Concrete Drives
Block Paving Drives

Ask us for a free quote!