Council Approved Dropped Kerb Contractors

Make Your Appointment For Excellent Service Today!

Find the Very Best East Midlands Dropped Kerbs Solutions - Get a Radmanthwaite Drop Kerb Quote

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

Do you need a Dropped Kerb in Radmanthwaite? For lots of people, parking outside their own house can be both a reason for stress and come at a financial cost if you need to pay for a resident’s permit.

In particular urban regions, it can still be tricky to find a spot to leave your car close to home.

A kerb drop is a legal requirement if you want to drive across the pavement onto your property.

Any access onto a public highway from a domestic or commercial driveway area must have a vehicle crossover.

Kerb dropping permits vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway and it is a legal requirement if you want to drive across the pavement onto your property.

new dropped kerb in Radmanthwaite

We cover all these local areas and lots more- Radmanthwaite & Pleasleyhill, Moorhaigh, Mansfield Woodhouse, Ladybrook, Dalestorth, Mansfield, Skegby, Teversal, The Park, Bleak Hills

Installing a vehicle access crossover can make a significant improvement to easy access your property along with helping to ensure people do not park in front of your driveway.

The law regarding the access states: If you plan to drive a vehicle over the footway in to your driveway off a highway, then you will need make these changes to your access.

If you do not, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action may be taken to stop such practice.

The pavement may require to be strengthened in front of the property, and in some cases, it may be essential for lampposts, manhole covers and other street furniture to be moved.

drop kerb example image

Drop Kerb Specialists in Radmanthwaite

Kerb drops, also referred to as vehicle access crossovers, are an alteration to the footpath. It involves lowering the kerb and preparing new foundations to the paving to make it possible for a car to be driven onto the front area of a property.

The work involves lowering the kerbstones and bolstering the pavement to create a ramp, and must solely be performed by an authorised provider with Street Works Accreditation, and who have the required Public Liability insurance to fulfill the local authorities regulations.

Vehicle access cross overs consist normally of 3 or 4 dropped kerbs with a tapered or transition kerb on either side. The conventional maximum total width at road level for a VAC is 3.6 metres (i.e. normally 4 kerbs).

We have several years experience in installing drop kerbs and applying for the appropriate planning permission. We are able to work in partnership with your local county council  while abiding by all essential regulations.

You can either apply to your local council for approval for kerb dropping outside your property or we are able to apply to your local authority on your behalf.

We are members of the Streetworks Qualifications Register (SWQR). The SWQR holds information of qualified operators who have gained the appropriate qualifications in relation to the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, which is essential for any provider excavating a highway.

We focus on delivering a product that gets it correct the first time. By buying high quality materials, equipment and processes, we ensure that we deliver sustainable and affordable solutions that will last.

We pride ourselves on our exceptional workmanship and client care and we ensure that every job is carried out to the highest quality standards.

Our team can check out your site to perform a free no-obligation survey. This allows our surfacing contractors to fully understand your needs and offer an accurate and competitive quote.

Contact us today for a free quote on 07595 510190

Radmanthwaite Kerb Dropping Contractors

The huge growth in demand for off-street parking has seen a growing number of people drop kerbs to establish car standing at the front of their properties.

Study by home insurer Direct Line shows that off-street parking is regarded by estate agents as a beneficial feature which adds value to a residential or commercial property. This, combined with escalating parking restrictions in lots of residential areas, has resulted in planning applications  increase greatly over recent years.

However while adding car standing space to the front of your home may add value to your property, there are many things to take into consideration, not least environmental consequences, and flooding is a major concern.

When you switch out a front garden with hard standing, rainwater can no longer soak into the ground. As increasingly more households take this action, the cumulative effect severely increases the threat of flooding, so it’s important to include drainage in your plans.

Planning permission is normally needed if you wish to drop the kerb outside your property to permit a car to cross the pavement. This is due to the fact that the pavement may need to be strengthened to take the weight of motor vehicles and help prevent them from damaging the surface or any water pipes or cables underneath. It is also to ensure the new access will not be a safety hazard to other highway users.

Find the Very Best East Midlands Dropped Kerbs Solutions - Get a Radmanthwaite Drop Kerb Quote

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

You can find out if you need planning permission by contacting your local council (you can find the relevant council at the government website). How much it costs to apply will depend on your specific location.

If permission is given, you then you need to find a local specialist to do the work for you.

It’s definitely not a DIY job as the council will have criteria that service providers must meet. Some will only allow you to use their approved contractors, while others make it possible for you to use your own, provided that they are accredited to the requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, and hold public liability insurance. For this case, there may be an additional charge for highway assessments by the council.

new dropped kerb in Radmanthwaite
Radmanthwaite close up of kerb drop

Nottinghamshire Vehicle Crossover Experts

However first it’s worth establishing if consent is likely to be given. Below is a checklist of points to consider. If any among these criteria is not met, planning permission is probably to be denied:

  • Your front garden must be big enough for you to park your vehicle entirely on your property.
  • The kerb must be at minimum 4.8 m from the front of your house; or 6m if the parking spot is in front of a door or garage.
  • The parking area should be at least 2.4 m wide.
  • The proposed access to your property should be more than 10m away from a road junction; 15m away from busy junctions or on primary roads.
  • It has to be at least 1.5 m away from street lights and other street furniture.
  • It must meet visibility guidelines; this depends upon the type of road.
  • Suitable drainage must be provided to remove the surplus surface water.
    The removal of tree roots should be avoided.
  • The incline from your property to the road must not be too steep.
  • Finally, you as the property owner must consent to the kerb being dropped; for example, a renter can not apply on their landlord’s behalf.

Q and A’s

Prices will vary depending on the location and width of your pavement. Some contractors and councils offer an extended dropped kerb for free, while some charge up to $1800 or more. The job typically takes about one to two days.

Highways Act 1980, Section 184 makes it an offense to drive a vehicle over a footway or verge where there is no vehicle crossing. They allow for the vehicle to cross the public pedestrian footway.

An average driveway will have five kerb sections. Assuming the Council owns the footpath and road, you will need to get permission from your local Council. You might not be granted permission by the Council, whether it is a roads authority, planning authority, or both.

A dropped kerb is a sloped area that the vehicle crosses between the road and the property’s front. It is often a driveway with dropped kerbs.

Obstructing a drop kerb with a vehicle is an offense. It can be enforced by the police or local council. As absurd as it might sound, you can receive a PCN to park across your own dropped-kerb.

Parking across a dropped curb is a parking offense that can lead to a Penalty Fee Notice. This means if you park in across a dropped kerb you are committing an offence unless you have permission.

Adding a spot for a car will undoubtedly bring extra value to your property, but the amount will naturally depend on whereabouts you live. Also, you must apply for a drop kerb to your property.

It must be at least 10 m between the entrance to the junction or sharp corner and where the proposed vehicular accessibility is located. Your vehicle cannot be parked in an area that exceeds the roadway or pavement.

If you want to remove the curb from your property in order to permit a vehicle to cross the pavement, planning permission will usually be required. The pavement might need to be reinforced to withstand the vehicles’ weight and to prevent damage to the pipes or cables beneath.

Dropped kerb is required if you plan to drive your vehicle across the footway from your driveway onto a highway. You must have a dropped kerb in order to drive your vehicle over the footway. You are violating the law and could face enforcement action.

We Install Driveways Too!

If you need a dropped kerb you probably need a driveway too.
We can give you a quote for:
Resin Drives
Tarmac Drives
Concrete Drives
Block Paving Drives

Ask us for a free quote!