Council Approved Dropped Kerb Contractors

Make Your Appointment For Excellent Service Today!

Call For Nottinghamshire Dropped Kerb Business - Local Dropped Kerbs Contractors in Cox Moor

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

Do you need a Dropped Kerb in Cox Moor? For many people, parking outside their own home can be both a reason for stress and come at a monetary cost if you need to buy a resident’s permit.

In certain urban areas, it can still be tricky to find a spot to leave your car close to home.

A kerb drop is a legal requirement if you wish to drive across the pavement onto your residential or commercial property.

Any access onto a public highway from a residential or commercial driveway area should have a vehicle crossover.

Kerb dropping enables vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway and it is a legal requirement if you wish to drive across the pavement onto your property.

new dropped kerb in Cox Moor

Putting in a vehicle access crossover can make a huge improvement to easy access your property along with helping to make sure people do not park in front of your driveway.

The law pertaining to the access states: If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway in to your driveway off a highway, then you will need make these changes to your access.

If you do not, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action might be taken to prevent such practice.

The pavement may need to be reinforced in front of the property, and in many cases, it may be necessary for lampposts, manhole covers and other street furniture to be relocated.

drop kerb example image

Drop Kerb Specialists in Cox Moor

Kerb drops, also referred to as vehicle access crossovers, are an adaptation to the footpath. It involves lowering the kerb and laying new foundations to the paving to make it possible for a car to be driven onto the front area of a property.

The work includes lowering the kerbstones and bolstering the pavement to create a ramp, and must solely be performed by an authorised company with Street Works Accreditation, and who have the necessary Public Liability insurance to fulfill the local authorities regulations.

Vehicle access cross overs comprise normally of 3 or 4 dropped kerbs with a tapered or transition kerb on either side. The standard maximum total width at road level for a VAC is 3.6 metres (i.e. normally 4 kerbs).

We have many years experience in putting in drop kerbs and making an application for the relevant planning permission. We are able to work in conjunction with your local county council  whilst abiding by all necessary regulations.

You can either apply to your local council for permission for kerb dropping outside your property or we are able to apply to your local authority on your behalf.

We are members of the Streetworks Qualifications Register (SWQR). The SWQR holds information of qualified operators who have gained the appropriate qualifications in regard to the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, which is essential for any contractor excavating a highway.

We focus on delivering a product that gets it correct the first time. By investing in high quality materials, equipment and processes, we make sure that we deliver sustainable and affordable solutions that will last.

We pride ourselves on our exceptional workmanship and client care and we make sure that each and every job is performed to the highest quality standards.

Our team can visit your site to perform a free no-obligation survey. This allows our surfacing contractors to completely understand your needs and provide an accurate and affordable quote.

Call us today for a complimentary quote on 07595 510190

Cox Moor Kerb Dropping Contractors

The huge growth in demand for off-street parking has seen more and more people drop kerbs to create car standing at the front of their homes.

Study by home insurer Direct Line shows that off-street parking is seen by estate agents as a desirable feature which adds market value to a property. This, coupled with escalating parking restrictions in lots of residential areas, has brought about planning applications  increase greatly over recent years.

However while putting in car standing space to the front of your home can add market value to your property, there are many things to consider, not least environmental issues, and flooding is a major concern.

When you switch out a front garden with hard standing, rain can no longer absorb into the ground. As more and more households take this step, the collective effect seriously increases the risk of flooding, so it’s essential to incorporate drainage in your plans.

Planning permission is generally needed if you wish to drop the kerb outside your property to enable a car to cross the pavement. This is due to the fact that the pavement might need to be reinforced to take the weight of motor vehicles and help prevent them from damaging the surface or any pipes or cables below. It is also to ensure the new access will not be a safety risk to other highway users.

Call For Nottinghamshire Dropped Kerb Business - Local Dropped Kerbs Contractors in Cox Moor

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

You can learn if you need planning permission by getting in touch with your local council (you can find the relevant council at the government website). How much it costs to apply will depend upon your specific location.

If permission is given, you then you need to locate a local specialist to do the work for you.

It’s certainly not a DIY job as the council will have requirements that contractors must meet. Several will only allow you to use their endorsed contractors, while others make it possible for you to use your own, provided that they are accredited to the requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, and hold public liability insurance. For this case, there might be an additional charge for highway inspections by the council.

new dropped kerb in Cox Moor
Cox Moor close up of kerb drop

Nottinghamshire Vehicle Crossover Experts

However first it’s worth verifying if permission is likely to be given. Below is a list of considerations. If any among these criteria is not really met, planning permission is likely to be refused:

  • Your front garden needs to be large enough for you to park your vehicle fully on your property.
  • The kerb needs to be at minimum 4.8 m from the front of your house; or 6m if the parking area is in front of a door or garage.
  • The parking area should be at least 2.4 m wide.
  • The suggested access to your property should be more than 10m away from a road junction; 15m away from busy junctions or on primary roads.
  • It has to be at least 1.5 m away from street lamps and other street furniture.
  • It must meet visibility standards; this depends on the type of road.
  • Suitable drainage needs to be provided to remove the excess surface water.
    The extraction of tree roots should be avoided.
  • The incline from your property to the road must not be too steep.
  • Finally, you as the property owner must consent to the kerb being dropped; as an example, a renter can not apply on their landlord’s behalf.

Q and A’s

Prices will vary depending on the location and width of your pavement. Some contractors and councils offer an extended dropped kerb for free, while some charge up to $1800 or more. The entire process usually takes 1 to 2 working days.

Highways Act 1980 Section 184, makes it an offense for a vehicle to be driven across a footway. They include both the physical lowering of the kerb (the dropped kerb) and a permission to allow a vehicle to cross the public footway.

For an average driveway, you will probably want to lower five kerb sections. If the Council is the owner of the road or footpath, you will need permission from the Council. The Council may deny permission for any reason, be it as a roads or planning authority, but also both.

A dropped kerb is the sloped area where the vehicle crosses from the road to the front of the property. This is most often a driveway with drop kerb.

A vehicle parked partially or fully across a dropped curb is considered obstruction. The police or the local council can enforce this violation. … As ridiculous as it may seem, you can be issued a PCN for parking across your own dropped kerb

Parking across a dropping kerb can be a parking contravention that could result in a Penalty-Charge Notice being issued. This means that you can’t park in front of a dropped-kerb without permission.

Although adding a spot for your car will increase the property’s value, it will depend on where you live. A drop kerb outside of your property will require you to complete an application.

The distance between the entrance of a junction or sharp corner, and the proposed vehicular entry must not exceed 10 meters. Your vehicle cannot be parked in an area that exceeds the roadway or pavement.

You will need to obtain permission to drop the kerb from your property so that a car can cross the pavement. This is because vehicles may cause damage to the pavement or pipes or cables below, and the pavement may need strengthening to support the load.

If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need a dropped kerb. You cannot drive on the footway if you don’t have a dropped curb. Doing so is a violation of the law, and enforcement actions could be taken against you.

We Install Driveways Too!

If you need a dropped kerb you probably need a driveway too.
We can give you a quote for:
Resin Drives
Tarmac Drives
Concrete Drives
Block Paving Drives

Ask us for a free quote!