Council Approved Dropped Kerb Contractors

Make Your Appointment For Excellent Service Today!

Find Experienced Dropped Kerbs In Sutton Forest Side - Vehicle Crossovers Experts in Nottinghamshire

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

Do you need a Dropped Kerb in Sutton Forest Side? For many people, parking outside their own home can be both a reason for stress and come at a financial cost if you need to buy a resident’s permit.

In particular urban regions, it can still be difficult to find a spot to leave your car close to home.

A kerb drop is a legal requirement if you wish to drive over the pavement onto your property.

Any entry onto a public highway from a domestic or commercial driveway area should have a vehicle crossover.

Kerb dropping allows vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway and it is a legal requirement if you intend to drive across the pavement onto your property.

new dropped kerb in Sutton Forest Side

We cover all these local areas and lots more- Sutton Forest Side & New Cross, Sutton in Ashfield, Dalestorth, Bleak Hills, Skegby, Ladybrook, Stanton Hill, Cox Moor, Teversal, Kirkby-in-Ashfield

Installing a vehicle access crossover can make a huge improvement to easy access your property as well as helping to ensure people do not park in front of your driveway.

The law pertaining to the access states: If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need make these changes to your access.

If you do not, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice.

The pavement may require to be strengthened in front of the building, and in many cases, it may be necessary for lampposts, manhole covers and other street furniture to be moved.

drop kerb example image

Drop Kerb Specialists in Sutton Forest Side

Kerb drops, also called vehicle access crossovers, are an alteration to the footpath. It entails lowering the kerb and preparing new foundations to the paving to enable a car to be driven onto the front area of a property.

The work includes lowering the kerbstones and strengthening the pavement to create a ramp, and must solely be performed by an authorised company with Street Works Accreditation, and who have the required Public Liability insurance to comply with the local authorities regulations.

Vehicle access cross overs comprise normally of 3 or 4 dropped kerbs with a tapered or transition kerb on either side. The standard maximum total width at road level for a VAC is 3.6 metres (i.e. normally 4 kerbs).

Our team have several years experience in installing drop kerbs and making an application for the appropriate planning permission. We are able to work in partnership with your local county council  while abiding by all necessary regulations.

You can either apply to your local council for approval for kerb dropping outside your building or we are able to apply to your local authority in your place.

We are members of the Streetworks Qualifications Register (SWQR). The SWQR holds details of qualified providers who have gained the appropriate qualifications in regard to the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, which is necessary for any contractor excavating a highway.

We focus on delivering a service that gets it right the first time. By buying high quality components, equipment and processes, we ensure that we deliver lasting and affordable solutions that will last.

We pride ourselves on our exceptional workmanship and customer care and we ensure that each and every job is performed to the finest quality standards.

Our staff can visit your site to carry out a free no-obligation survey. This enables our surfacing contractors to fully understand your needs and offer an accurate and affordable quote.

Contact us today for a complimentary quote on 07595 510190

Sutton Forest Side Kerb Dropping Contractors

The huge growth in interest for off-street parking has seen more and more people drop kerbs to establish car standing at the front of their homes.

Research by home insurer Direct Line shows that off-street parking is seen by estate agents as a desirable feature which adds value to a property. This, combined with increasing parking restrictions in lots of residential locations, has brought about planning applications  increase greatly over recent years.

But while putting in car standing space to the front of your home might add value to your property, there are many things to consider, not least environmental consequences, and flooding is a big concern.

When you replace a front lawn with hard standing, rain can no longer absorb into the ground. As increasingly more households take this action, the collective effect seriously increases the risk of flooding, so it’s important to include drainage in your plans.

Planning permission is usually needed if you wish to drop the kerb outside your building to permit a car to cross the pavement. This is because the pavement might need to be strengthened to take the weight of motor vehicles and prevent them from damaging the surface or any pipes or cables underneath. It is also to ensure the new access will not be a safety hazard to other highway users.

Find Experienced Dropped Kerbs In Sutton Forest Side - Vehicle Crossovers Experts in Nottinghamshire

Call Today For Your Free Quote - 07595 510190

You can find out if you need planning permission by getting in touch with your local council (you can identify the relevant council at the government website). How much it costs to apply will be dependent on your specific location.

If permission is given, you then you need to locate a local specialist to perform the work for you.

It’s certainly not a DIY job as the council will have criteria that contractors must meet. Several will only allow you to use their endorsed contractors, while others make it possible for you to use your own, so long as they are certified to the requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, and hold public liability insurance. For this case, there might be an additional charge for highway assessments by the council.

new dropped kerb in Sutton Forest Side
Sutton Forest Side close up of kerb drop

Nottinghamshire Vehicle Crossover Experts

But first it’s worth verifying if consent is likely to be given. Below is a list of points to consider. If any one of these criteria is not really met, planning permission is probably to be denied:

  • Your front garden needs to be large enough for you to park your vehicle fully on your property.
  • The kerb needs to be at least 4.8 m from the front of your house; or 6m if the parking area is in front of a door or garage.
  • The parking area should be at least 2.4 m wide.
  • The proposed access to your property should be more than 10m away from a road junction; 15m away from busy junctions or on major roads.
  • It has to be at least 1.5 m away from street lamps and other street furniture.
  • It must meet visibility guidelines; this is dependent on the type of road.
  • Appropriate drainage needs to be provided to take the excess surface water.
    The removal of tree roots should be avoided.
  • The slope from your home to the road must not be too steep.
  • Finally, you as the home owner must agree to the kerb being dropped; for example, a renter can not apply on their landlord’s behalf.

Q and A’s

Prices vary depending on where you live, how many kerbs are to be dropped and whether or not you wish to extend an already-dropped kerb. Some councils and contractors offer an extended dropped-kerb free of charge, while others charge up to £1800. The entire job takes about 1 to 2 hours.

Highways Act 1980 Section 184 states that it is an offense to drive a vehicle on a footway or verge if there isn’t a proper vehicle crossing. These include the permission for a vehicle to cross the public footway and the physical lowering the kerb.

An average driveway will have five kerb sections. If the Council is the owner of the road or footpath, you will need permission from the Council. The Council may deny permission for any reason, be it as a roads or planning authority, but also both.

Dropped kerb refers to the area where the vehicle crosses the road from the property’s front. It is often a driveway with dropped kerbs.

An obstruction is defined as a vehicle that is parked fully or partially on a dropped kerb. Local authorities or the police can enforce the violation. … As ridiculous as it may seem, you can be issued a PCN for parking across your own dropped kerb

Parking across a dropped kerb is a parking contravention for which a Penalty Charge Notice can be issued. This means if you park in across a dropped kerb you are committing an offence unless you have permission.

Adding a spot for a car will undoubtedly bring extra value to your property, but the amount will naturally depend on whereabouts you live. A drop kerb outside of your property will require you to complete an application.

It must be at least 10 m between the entrance to the junction or sharp corner and where the proposed vehicular accessibility is located. Your vehicle cannot be parked in an area that exceeds the roadway or pavement.

If you plan to remove the kerb on your property and allow cars to cross the pavement, permission is required. This is because vehicles may cause damage to the pavement or pipes or cables below, and the pavement may need strengthening to support the load.

Dropped kerbs are required for vehicles that will be driven over the footway to your driveway from a highway. You cannot drive on the footway if you don’t have a dropped curb. If you do, you will be in violation of the law. Enforcement action may be taken to stop you from doing so.

We Install Driveways Too!

If you need a dropped kerb you probably need a driveway too.
We can give you a quote for:
Resin Drives
Tarmac Drives
Concrete Drives
Block Paving Drives

Ask us for a free quote!