Dropped kerb - vehicular crossing in Mansfield

A properly constructed crossing can be requested that allows you cross a footpath, verge or road with a vehicle. The property must be yours. Any work done will be at your cost. Before any work is done, you need to get permission from us.

Before you apply for a dropped kerb

Before you submit your application, please check the Highway programme. It will show you if there are any plans for your street.

There are many factors that can cause our programs to change. The lists are not complete and should be used only as a guide. Fees are non-refundable. You are responsible for all applications and works that you do.

Dropped kerb applications to highways teams must include permission from our planning division.

Planning permission is required if you want to plan.

  • The location of your dropped kerb will be on a road that is classified as A, C or B.

The Nottinghamshire adopted road gazetteer can help you locate the class of Nottinghamshire adopted roads. The first letter of a road number is the classification of road. Unclassified roads are not likely to require permission. The gazetteer does no show any un-adopted, private roads. If your road does not appear in the gazetteer, contact the owner. Permission is usually granted by the street manager or developer. The Land Registry should be capable of confirming who owns the land.

  • Your property is in a conservation or listed building.
  • If you’re unsure, look up conservation areas in Nottinghamshire
  • Any surface water that runs off your new driveway drains off your property
  • Property is more than just a house for one family. This includes flats or maisonettes as well commercial or industrial properties.

While you might be able apply under “permitted development”, we suggest that you seek the advice of our planning department.

The complexity of the site will impact the cost of planning consents.

Apply for a dropped kerb

Once you have received planning permission or development approval, you can submit a highways application.

You should include:

Your planning consent, if applicable

  • An example sketch plan showing the layout of the site.
  • If applicable, permission from owner of property
  • The application fee for £132.30

As part of the application, you can pay this fee by credit card. The fee cannot be refunded.

The highways team can advise you whether your application is acceptable.

  • Approved
  • Appropriated subject to modifications
  • rejected

Contractors doing the work

To grant permission for the contractor to perform the work, we will need to know all details about their qualifications and insurance.

If your application has been accepted, you’ll need to provide our reference number.

You might need additional forms or charges if:

  • Temporary traffic lights (temporary signs) are required for work to be completed safely. Section 171 Application (PDF, 398KB).
  • It is necessary to move a streetlight


S.184 of Highways Act 1980 provides that habitual vehicular access is prohibited to land or property.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.